Stop the presses! At the NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants) show in Anaheim, California, Korg USA has just announced that they will be distributing Lâg guitars, from France, in the United States. They have never been available here before.
Lâg make several models of affordable nylon-string crossover guitars with traditional woods, full bodies, full scale length, 48mm nut width, 400mm radiused fingerboard, cutaway, and options for pickups and preamps. List prices, according to the new web site, are between US$675 and $925. I do not know what the street prices will be. Lâg America says that they will announce dealer relationships after March 1, 2010.
Korg USA distributes Korg, Marshall, and Vox, among other brands, and their products are all very widely available in the US, so it’s likely that all the major online retailers and many local music stores will also carry Lâg guitars.
I did not get to go to the NAMM show this year, so I was not able to see or play these guitars. According to what I can see on the Lâg America web site, their classical guitars look like modified folk guitars, and they all seem to have non-traditional satin finishes, dark, smokey-looking wood stains. In other words, they look a bit like Taylor’s classical crossover guitars. They don’t look anything like the traditional-looking models that Alhambra and now Cordoba are producing.
More news when I get it!
Auditorium Nylon Cutaway Acoustic/Electric
- Headstock : Solid Indonesian Rosewood, linseed oil finish, with Lâg Maple Logo inlay
- Machine Heads : Classical Satin Black, with Satin Black buttons
- Top Nut : Black Graphite 46mm
- Truss Rod : 2-way System
- Neck : Smooth round shape, Dove Tail assembly system, Mahogany French Satin finish
- Fingerboard : Indonesian Rosewood
- Radius : 400mm
- Frets : 20, Silver-Nickel, Medium type
- Body Top : Solid Red Cedar, with Classical Fan bracing
- Back & Sides : Indonesian Rosewood
- Bindings : Rosewood + Maple
- Body Thickness : Bottom 110mm – Neck 90mm
- Rosette : Rosewood with Maple, with Occitania cross
- Bridge : Indonesian Rosewood with Black Graphite saddle
- Pickup ( Ac/El ) : Nanoflex Piezo Pickup under bridge saddle
- Electronics ( Ac/El ) : StudioLâg Nylon system
- Finish : French Satin
- Strings : SAVAREZ Cristal Corum with G Alliance